2) Body Language ? Always Keep your head up, swing your arms, stand straight with your shoulders back. If a stranger is watching you ? don?t turn away ? LOOK AT THEM ? right in the eye ? let them know you see them ? Better yet – don’t just look them in the eye – look them in the eye and then purposely look at their clothes. If you act strong, they will turn away and look for someone who isn?t. No bad guy is going to look you in the eye, know you have seen them and then come after you.
3) Being Alone – DON’T walk alone in an alley, parking lot, or drive in a bad neighborhood at night. If you do have to walk alone, get your cell phone ready. Keep your finger over the emergency dial button with your non dominant hand, then put your keys in your other hand. Your car key should be between your thumb and pointer finger. The rest of the keys should placed so they stick out between your fingers. If someone comes at you, punch them. They will get stabbed with the keys. Make sure you run after you do it!
WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
Making yourself a target is what you are doing. Once inside your car don?t sit there! Start your car, lock your doors and LEAVE. Predators are watching you and while you sit there, you are giving them a chance to come to you, put a gun to your head and take you away.
Better yet – don’t walk alone. You just leave the bar and you and your friend are parked in different places. Both of you walk to the closest car and then drive your friend to her car.
6) Take the elevator NOT the stairs. Yes ? as women we are always looking for a way to stay in shape, but being alone and in a stairwell is not a good idea. Stairwells are dangerous places. Take the elevator – When the door opens, if you see someone who makes you uncomfortable inside, DON?T GET ON! Pretend to forget something and walk away quickly. If you are inside and someone gets on you don?t feel comfortable with ? GET OFF! Stand in the center or front of the elevator like you own the place, don’t stand in the corner. Again ? look strong and chances are you won?t be a target.
7) If a Gun is pointed at you and you are not being held ? RUN! Police only make 4 of 10 shots when they are in range of 3-9 feet. This is due to stress. The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times. And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN!
8) Stop being nice! Woman always want to be nice, not offend someone or hurt their feelings, even with strangers. STOP! I?m not saying, don?t stop to help the old woman who dropped her purse and can?t bend over, I?m saying watch where you are and if something doesn?t makes sense, be AWARE! Also, remember that good looking men can be predators too ? they don?t all look like whack jobs.
Join me Next Saturday for the second part in Safety for Women!
Don’t forget to check out last weeks topic:
Theft from Vehicles
Stacy Eaton is a police officer in the state of Pennsylvania and has been for almost 12 years. This is information is intended to assist. We do not take any responsibility if our tips do not work.